Saturday, September 18, 2010

Miso-Marinated Broiled Black Cod & Ling Cod

Miso-Marinated Broiled Black Cod & Ling Cod.

This is one of my favorite Japanese dishes, so I am excited to see that it's on the cooking club menu! Since Andrew and Agnes both made the dish and both questioned the necessity of the cheesecloth, I thought we should try it without the cloth to see whether it made a difference. We bought 2 pieces of black cod and 2 pieces of ling cod.We used the zest of two meyer lemons (a little more than 1/2 T zest), 1/4 cup mirn, and then..... recipe calls for 2-3 cups of sweet, light miso? It's 6:30pm on Friday night and John's parents are coming over, so we are going to work with what we've got. I added our miso paste, 1/2 teaspoon at a time, and mixed into the marinade. About 3 teaspoons and it tasted about right, but we will find out Sunday =)

Lot of learning today:

The recipe calls to broil on shallow alluminum pan or broiler pan. I used a baking sheet and it warped in the oven! Once cooled, it straightened back out, but that was a first.

I forgot to scrape away marinade and just put the pan with marinated fish straight into the broiler. At 2.5 minutes, there was smoke coming from the oven. I went to check on it and noticed the marinade was scorched on the sheet and the fish was browned. I flipped the fish and set the timer for another 3 minutes. Less than 2 minutes into it, our smoke detector let us know that dinner was ready =/

I think if you marinate the fish the 6 hours or more, I would use the cheesecloth to keep the moisture and balance. I am still not sure whether it is necessary for the impatient method, but it can't hurt.

Great dish and potentially easy to make. I am keeping this a a go-to recipe for fish. I love flavor and texture of miso-marinated fish, and love how it works with so many different types of fish.

Salted and Drying out the Fish.

Lemon Zest.

Adding the Lemon Zest to the Marinade.

Broiling the Fish.

Warped Pan.

Broiled Fish.

Plated Miso-Marinated Broiled Fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment