Friday, March 12, 2010

Tarte Au Citron


Tarte Au Citron

(Post written by Lee)

I was very excited to see lemon tart as one of the recipe items since I love all desserts LEMON... especially buttery tarts!

The recipe calls for 2 cups of pine nuts, but since we only had 1.5 cups, I substituted 0.5 cups of walnuts (both have high fat content). The pine nut flavor probably would be more pronounced if we had enough, but the result was still very good. As I was making the crust (easy with the food processor), I was very surprised that the recipe did not call for salt. We just made tarts a few weeks earlier for the first time and all the recipes I looked up called for salt. It took everything in me to follow the recipe so I could taste the end result. Next time, I would make two just to taste them side by side, especially since I love lemon tarts! The crumble was very thin as we were pressing to the tart pan, but we tried to spread it out as evenly as possible. I thought that there was a standard 9-inch tart pan, but then realized when washing up that we had a 10-inch! One change would probably be to split the crust into halves instead of thirds since we have a larger pan. We baked the crust for 10 minutes and rotated for the second 10 minutes. I think we would try 15 minutes next time to get a more nutty flavor. When cooking late at night, we always seem to use the shorter of the recommended times =)

Since this was my first time making a sabayon, I wasn't quite sure what the consistency was supposed to be. I used an older (more stiff) whisk and I don't think I whisked vigorously enough. It looked fine to me, but when I saw Andrew and Yurah's post, I realized mine did not get that light and/or fluffy. Next time, I am going to try faster and/or get a new whisk. Next, pour the sabayon in the crust and broil while you lick the bowl! I was watching it like the recipe called for, but it seemed to be slow, so I turned around to wash some dishes. One minute later and it was a little more brown than I would like. I rotated very briefly and then removed the tart from the oven. It is very sensitive at that high heat, so lesson is to follow the recipe and the warnings. "Do not leave the oven."

We served the Tarte Au Citron along wtih the sorbet as Momma Joh's birthday cake. Everyone loved it. I will definitely be making this more often since we still have Meyer lemons on the tree!


Starting the mixture for the crust.

The crust mixture.

Crust in bags.

Making the sabayon.

Getting the crust onto the tart pan.

Making the crust.

Whisking the sabayon.

Pouring onto crust.

No comments:

Post a Comment